Sunday 20 January 2008

Carotty sweetness

The recent resurrection of this blog and Cornells enthusiasm increased my drive to experiment a bit more with paleolithic meals.
Another reason to experiment a bit more is the cost of the meals. Eating paleolithically tends to be a little bit more expensive than eating neolithically. Vegetables and fruit is more expansive than potatoes, rice or pasta. And as I found that since starting to eat this way I spent more each month than I gained I had to reduce costs. And I found that it was quite easy to spend 4,5 euro's less each day on my food.
One good way to get a costreduction is using vegetables of the season. They are often national products (not imported), and way cheaper...
So today I chose carrots. Not the little ones you get in summer, but real, large carrots. We call them 'winter carrots' in Holland (or Winterpenen).
I had a kilogram of those for less than a euro! So I cut them in little slices.
I cut 250 grams of mushrooms in quarts and I sliced up two onions.
I fried the onions, added 280 grams of lean minced meat, and seasoned with curry powder, paprikapowder and pepper. When the meat lost its red color I added the carrots and mushrooms and stir fried those a couple of minutes. Then I added some curry powder, some sweet chili sauce and some ginger sauce.
The result was very good.
The carrots are sweet of themselves, and stir frying them until they were a bit softer really brought that taste to the front, I think thu sugars in the carrots caramelizes a bit. A good combination with the sauces.
I had enough for three portions! So I know what I will have for dinner tomorrow and the day after!

No comments:

 
/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- Google Analytics */ /* -------------------------------------------------------------------- Google Analytics */