Monday 7 January 2008

Christmas crisis

I just came home from my aikido class. Several of my classmates had visibly! put on weight during the holidays. Christmas dinners and New Year's snacks have taken their toll on their bodies. I was quite surprised that it's possible to grow your gut so fast. Then again, I remember how bloated I felt after the holidays in previous years. More than once I have sat in the train on my way home after spending christmas and boxing day at my mother's and vowed to fast for at least a day and probably two because I felt like a stuffed turkey. Of course the next morning those vows would soon dissolve when I woke up famished.

This year was different. I ate a lot, but it was (mostly) paleo-approved. My mother's divine roast chicken and turkey, trout and eel and lots of greens and fruit. I skipped the roast potatoes and beans and only had a very tiny helping of ice cream as desert. Even though I cheated and ate a few cookies and some crisps, going easy on the empty carbs made all the difference. I felt lean and fit instead of bloated and didn't gain any weight. My tummy is flatter than it's ever been, so no new year's resolutions for 2008...

No comments:

 
/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- Google Analytics */ /* -------------------------------------------------------------------- Google Analytics */